Friday, September 29, 2006

D&D: Really Cool Packaging!

Look at this package. It's a thing of beauty:


On December 5th, BCI is releasing Dungeons & Dragons: The Complete Series, the classic 1983 animated series based on the legendary adventures-by-the-roll-of-the-dice game. If you played this game yourself in the '80s, then you will easily recognize the design and layout of the DVD packaging above as being based on the design of the adventure modules that were sold by TSR "back in the day".

Great job, BCI.

Y'know, these guys have done some really outstanding packaging in the past. I first noticed it with their After School Specials DVD releases, where they went from from "Trapper Keeper" designs to "school locker" designs to "school yearbook" designs to an actual "school bus" design!

While their packaging has been less "gimmicky" since then, their package art itself has been outstanding, especially on the animated releases from their Ink & Paint brand. All look very good, but the crown of those are the He-Man and She-Ra titles, which features a composite picture that assembles together from the spine art, when the boxes are lined up together.

And their photographic covers for live-action show releases, like Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom, are nothing to sneer at either! So, as you can see, BCI's cover art is always well worth a look, just to appreciate what you're seeing.


But the D&D packaging above - a show I've long waited for on DVD - just took me by surprise nonetheless with exactly how good it is! I was expecting something as good as the other Ink & Paint titles from BCI, but man oh man! This just blew me away with how good it looks, having Tiamat (the five-headed dragon, a.k.a. "The Chromatic Dragon" featured in the series, taken from The Advanced D&D Monster Manual) look over the shoulders of the heroes of the series. And putting that picture smack as the centerpiece of a cover done in the traditional style of a D&D adventure module. Wow. Sensational design, sensational artwork!

So, I just wanted to share my joy for this picture with all of y'all, and commend BCI for a sensational cover that went above and beyond what I expected! Their absolute love for their products shines through with this level of care, and we reap the benefit here. Because in this case, you CAN judge a book (or rather, a DVD) by its cover: the love that BCI puts into these art designs shows up with good-looking video, good-sounding audio, great extras, and good entertainment.

What more can you ask for?


Well, if you're a fan of D&D the game, maybe you can ask for a cool webcomic to go with it. If you haven't discovered it already (in the 3 years it's been going!), get in on The Order of the Stick, the fun webcomic that you'll laugh at and laugh at, especially if you've ever played D&D itself. Yeah, I'm a geek. But isn't it fun to be one?

5 Comments:

At October 11, 2006 8:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll agree the packaging is beautiful, but I believe there are more important things these companies could be spending their money on. The most important of those being captions for the shows they're putting on disk.

 
At December 07, 2006 8:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Got my copy of this set yesterday ... have yet to crack the shrink wrap

Hope my memory of the show live up to the hype of the DVD release

 
At December 07, 2006 10:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm amazed at the effort that went into the packaging. However I'd much rather they make sure the episodes are clean. The last episode on the first disc, "Prison Without Walls" is out of sync. The audio annoyingly lags behind the video. The other episodes on the disc were fine, so I'm concerned this is a problem with the whole production. I tried to contact them, but the e-mail address bounced back. There was also a glitch in the first episode on the second disc. I'm hoping it's just my set, and that an exchanged disc 2 won't have the glitch.

 
At December 08, 2006 8:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I exchanged my disc set last night. The glitches are still there so the problems must be in their master discs. Anyone else seeing these problems? There seems to be no way to contact these people. The Contact Us e-mail from their website bounces back. Is InkandPaintdvd.com one of those companies that just doesn't care?

 
At December 14, 2006 7:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I noted the graininess on disc ones eps and scratches on the negatives

I wasn't watching closely on disc 2 but it did work fine ... I saw all the eps on disc 2 that I watched (which wasn't all) with no probs, seemingly ...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home