Thursday, September 14, 2006

Where the Hell is Dave?

Some of our regular readers may have noticed that Gordo's been posting most of the news lately, and wondering just where in the heck I am. Well, I'm here, and I'm not sick or anything. Just busy.

You see, TVShowsOnDVD isn't my full-time job. I help out Gord as much as possible, but my first priority of course has to be earning a paycheck for me and my family, and I've got a full-time job as a Business Systems Analyst. Where? Well, I can't say, basically because the corporation I work at has recently adopted policies that prevent associates from blogging about the company. You know, they're just trying to protect themselves from getting a black eye on the web because of disgruntled employees. Understandable in this day and age, and I don't want to jeopardize my job by running afoul of that policy. So I won't mention the company name or what goes on there.

However, I think I'm pretty safe to explain that - like all big companies - we run the place off of a big Enterprise Resource Planning ("ERP") system. You know, one of those management information systems that handles accounting, inventory, operations, purchasing/materials, personnel, etc. You've probably heard of many of the applications that do this (and possibly work for a company that uses one or more of these): Oracle, SAP, PeopleSoft, Lawson, SSA, and Baan, among others.

So the site I work at is in the process of switching over from one of these to another (can't name which ones, that would help identify the company I suppose, which is a no-no), and I'm working long hours and on weekends to help with the project. And there it is in a nutshell.

We have one big milestone deadline coming up this weekend, and another one on the horizon soon after, so I am joining the rest of the team in putting forth as much effort as possible to make the deadlines and keep the project on schedule. Gord has been very understanding of my commitments there, and so he's taking care of the news as much as possible. Even while traveling a bit this week!

Anyway, I just wanted to take a minute and explain, so nobody thinks I've abandoned the site. I certainly haven't, and I look forward to getting back on a more regular work schedule in the near future, so I can post TSoD news once more. Now, I gotta go hop in the shower and get to work. Talk to ya' soon!

4 Comments:

At September 15, 2006 6:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, I have noticed your absence recently. I'm glad to hear you're fine! Best of luck with the work commitments.

 
At October 24, 2006 3:17 AM, Blogger David Lambert said...

I'm finally nearing the end of this project! Go-live is this weekend, and then there's a few weeks of post-go-live support that brings me into work at some truly early hours. After that, I'll be back on a more normal schedule for a while, and then perhaps I can start helping Gord out a bit by then. I'm sure he misses me! :)

 
At December 17, 2006 12:58 AM, Blogger maaahty said...

This is Scott here, getting sicker by the day but looks like i will make it through 07 snd I was wondering if the DVD that came so close to being released of Season Three of ONCE AND AGAIN is gonna ever be released before I am released from this earth due to my degenerative disease. Please get back to me at scott.martineau@comcast.net

PS this truly is my final wish - others may want sex with some beautiful model or a million dollars to spend in a dsy - but mine is simply to see season three one final time. can you help me?

 
At January 14, 2007 6:57 AM, Blogger David Lambert said...

Scott, I am truly sorry for you, but it does not look like it is going to happen. I have long ago forwarded your info to the best people I know at Disney, but that's not exactly too high on the food chain and none of us are in a position to intercede. I think that the Make A Wish foundation would probably have more ability to get something done about this, at least on a personal basis for you (burn the eps to some DVDs, rather than a general release, which is unrealistic from a business point of view).

As far as it goes, I was checking in here to say that, despite m Oct. post of thinking things were getting back on track, I'm STILL (4 months later!) knee-deep in it, and I don't know when/if the stuff going on at work will allow me to get back to normal here at TSoD. Gord and I just had a very touching "we miss each other" conversation this past week. Nothin' to do but wait and see what happens, I guess. Things will settle down eventually, one way or the other.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home