Wednesday, December 20, 2006

I'm outta hair!

David Bald


Yep, I shaved my head.

Yes, that photo above is PhotoShopped, but only to add the background and circular effect. In other words, to spice it up with an interesting background (taken from my Bahamas cruise this past Summer). So I *really* have no hair on my head! Here is a "before" shot for you to compare to:

Old David


Some folks who are familiar with Ronald Epstein, co-owner of the great Home Theater Forum website, will think that I'm basically copying him, since he shaved his head about 2.5 years ago, in precisely this same manner (leaving just goatee and mustache, if I recall correctly). Nope, I've wanted to do this for a long time before, and I watched his discussion thread about it with interest. My wife's misgivings about the way I would end up looking, and my own anxiety about the same, ended up making me hold off for quite a bit longer.

But this past Sunday, I took the plunge! What I DO owe to Ron and his discussion is that I ended up going with the HeadBlade (www.headblade.com), a nifty device you can get at Walgreens stores for $12.99, and replace the place therein with standard Gillette Atra Plus blades (10 blades for $12 at most places). I also decided to get the HeadSlick shaving foam from the Headblade folks, also found at Walgreens. It works well.

My wife can't keep her hands off of my scalp now. My son went from "do WHAT?!?!?" to "cool, my dad looks like Howie Mandel", and my co-workers at my full-time job haven't seen it yet other than the same pic above by e-mail, because I'm on vacation this week.

So tell me what you think!

11 Comments:

At December 20, 2006 9:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, if I were you I would think being compared to howie is a bad thing. But, i'm guessing your son is younger than me and only knows him from the...whatever game show he's on.

 
At December 21, 2006 5:33 AM, Blogger David Lambert said...

My son's 8, and "Deal or No Deal" has been one of his favorite shows since it debuted. So he only knows "bald Howie". I've always enjoyed Howie since his stand-up comic days, prior to Bobby's World, prior to St. Elsewhere, prior to being the voice of Animal on Muppet Babies and the voice of Gizmo in the film Gremlin His star was rising in stand-up comedy just before I graduated high school, and my friends and I were loving it! So I don't mind the comparison in any case.

 
At December 21, 2006 5:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just wait for all your friends and family to ask to rub your head for good luck. It will get tiresome after about the first time.

 
At December 21, 2006 7:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ahh. I see. I'm not really a fan of game shows and I still can't believe he is doing it since he hates touching people. I remember he did bobby's world. But what really sticks out in my head is the talk show he had for a couple of weeks. When I saw the first episode and saw that he wouldn't touch people, I knew it wouldn't last. And I think he had a bottle of hand sanitizer on his desk for the times he did shake someone's hand.

The scary part is, I'm kinda starting to be the same way. There are just some people out there that I do not want to touch me.

 
At December 21, 2006 8:05 AM, Blogger David Lambert said...

Well, Howie's thing is a fear of germs, which is called "mysophobia". It's why he first shaved his head, in fact. He's also got OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder), which just makes the phobia all the more obvious. But these days he's medicated so that he controls both. If you did ever watch the current show, you'll see that he started off with "touching knuckles" (sort of a two-handed "Wonder Twin powers: ACTIVATE!" gesture) with contestants, in lieu of a handshake. He later worked up to shoulder pats, to putting his arm around their shoulders, and now he gives out the occassional hug. He's REALLY coming along!


whatigotsofar: Noone's wanted to rub my head "for luck" yet, even though I'm rather Buddha-shapped, if you get my drift! :) But I expect a handful of folks at work to do that once I get back next Tuesday. I think I'll respond along the lines of, "Hey, if you're curious and want to touch it, you don't need an excuse, just ask...just this one time, though."

 
At December 21, 2006 9:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome to the club! I've been shaving for about 6 years now. The Headblade is the only way to go; take it from someone who tried using a Mach 3! No one at work has ever asked to rub it. People asked stuff like: Do you shave it yourself, how often do you shave it, etc.

One piece of advice: Don't forget the sunscreen!

 
At December 22, 2006 1:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heh, looks pretty cool!

Happy Christmas to you guys, by the way. Have a great 2007!

 
At December 29, 2006 11:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shaved mine on a lark in the summer, figured I'd grow it back in time for winter. That was five years ago. There's truly something to be said for never having another bad hair day.

 
At March 12, 2007 6:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! I should have rubbed your head for good luck when I saw you today, LOL.

 
At August 03, 2007 4:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is another way to do this. A company that markets men's depilatory products under the brand name "Magic" -- it's specifically marketed to African-American men to combat the potential problem of ingrown hairs. But, there's no reason why anyone who wishes to use it could not.
Anyway, this comes in a tube -- one tube will render about 4-6 applications. You spread it on, let it sit for about 6 minutes then use a spatula to remove it. The directions say you can also use a wet washcloth to take it off which is what I do in the shower.
I bought my first tube at Walgreens.
The advantage here is you don't have to use a mirror to shave with -- once you get the hang of applying it.
You do have to be careful about NOT leaving it on too long or it will irritate your skin -- but the results are very even, smooth and soft -- did I mention it has skin conditioners in it?

 
At August 31, 2007 11:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i hate my hair and always have. i feel much cleaner without it and couldn't grow it to full wavy/curly. i shave every day (twice for a date) and don't get why guys try to avoid baldness. i guess if you look ugly (bad head contour, etc.), you might have a reason, but for the rest of us it's the razor. take it ALL off!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home